Monday, November 1, 2010

be a friend...

be a friend. We all have friends right? What kind of friend are we though? What's your definition...

Through a great group of friends, I have learned that speaking openly and honestly is one of the most important attributes of our friendship. I have lots of people I know. But I don't really "know" them and they definitely do not "know" me. Why? Because I have always been a private person about the true struggles, difficulties and emotions I've gone through in my life. I guess I haven't felt comfortable enough, trusted enough, and I've worried about being judged. What I have learned is that if I feel that way with someone who is supposed to be a friend, they really aren't a friend - maybe an acquaintance, maybe a pal, but not a friend. And maybe if I feel that way with them, they feel the same about me. So neither of us are providing the other with the amazing support and love that a true friend can provide. This realization has transformed dramatically my definition of friend and I want to create and strengthen that bond with the people I dearly love and consider true friends. I have been blessed with a small intimate group of people who are my "friends." I know a lot of people and I like a lot of people, but these true "friends" allow me to speak my mind, to voice my troubles, and they support, correct and encourage me without judgement. They have a genuine interest in what's best for me and I for them. It's not always easy to be honest and open with others. There can be discomfort or unease, but true friendship works beyond that thin layer and goes deeper to the heart of who we are, who we want to be, and what God plans for us. For that I am so grateful. My friends see beyond my weaknesses and transgressions. They see my heart, see my efforts and they see God's light shining through me. That compassion and love are immeasurable.

So, for today I will be a friend. Now that I better understand what a real friendship involves I will strive to remain open, honest, compassionate and forgiving. I will be myself - all the good and all the bad - and I will embrace my friends for who they are - all the good and all the bad. I know that God has placed me in the life of this other person for a reason and I will not shy away from being vulnerable with them, courageous with them, disciplined with them, prayerful with them and blessed with them.